
I arrived back in Çiğdem this morning. I really enjoyed my time house & dog sitting in GOP. GOP is one of the wealthiest areas in Ankara. This is where most of the embassies and foreigners are located. [Though I did find out that Çiğdem is number three on top neighborhoods to live in Ankara.] This is a picture of Lola, the dog I spent the last three weeks with. She is an English Bull Terrier. I think she's so ugly she's cute! Turks are scared to death of her, but she is a big coward. Today on our last walk we turned the corner and came upon a pack of wild dogs. These were big German Sheppard looking dogs and there were six of them. The question I had been pondering for awhile was answered, would Lola defend me if the need arose? No way, she took off running the other way. As she was pulling me along, I told the dogs to go away. The were not listening and I got scared too. I knew they were not going to leave Lola alone and I figured the family I was house-sitting for would not like to have their dog attacked. So we raced into a near by apartment building. The guys shooed the other dogs away. When they had turned the corner, Lola and I ran off. The Turkish guys laughed at me, but I didn't care. I'm really glad it was our last walk. It was really early and no one was out and about. I totally understand now why Turks don't like dogs.
On a positive note, the last week in GOP I stayed alone. It was wonderful. It was the first time in a year and a half that I've spent a night in a house all by myself. I loved living by myself in America. I understand the need to live with people here, but I do miss the freedom of living alone. I've been realizing since Beth has come back the adjustments we are going to have to make since there is three of us again in an apartment. Maybe once school starts and we all get in a routine things will be better. I told my grandma the other day I'm just getting the chance to work on my flexibility!
I also wanted to show you some pictures of my room. This is the beautiful quilt that my mom made me while I was home this summer. I can't believe that she did it in such a short amount of time. It fits great and really matches my room. I make everyone who comes by the house come look at it. Apparently when I'm not here, Beth takes people in to show them the quilt too. I also have a new picture collage. I borrowed an idea from a fellow teacher who used blinds as a picture board. You just tuck the pictures in between the slates.



*BTW - only one more week of Turkish class! Another praise, apparently the mayor has reevaluated the water shortage and decided that we're not that short on water. So the water cuts are postponed indefinitely.
No comments:
Post a Comment