
I have been told that I am intimidating on several occasions. Several of my friends have told me they were intimidated by me when they met me. I have also been told I'm unapproachable, which is why guys don't ask me out. The other night my intimidation was attributed to my loud voice and my height, which is on the high side of average for women. I was described as boisterous. Boisterous is someone who is rough and noisy; noisily jolly or rowdy clamorous; or unrestrained. Students have always been intimidated by me. [Here I am giving my intimidating look to one of my students.] A story was just related to me the other day by a parent regarding this. The 6th graders are taking English with Beth now, who teaches high school. She's never taught 6th grade before and the kids were a little nervous. They know she's a tough teacher. Well one of the students told a parent they would rather have any high school teacher than me. [I'd like to say on my behalf, that the parent replied that I was one of her children's favorite teachers.] Apparently I'm scary. I had this reaction from students in America a lot. The reason was because I was strict in the hall and that was the only side they ever saw till they were in my classroom, which after two weeks there, promptly changed their opinion of me. Hence my survey, what about me is intimidating or makes me unapproachable? My voice and height are the first real answers I've ever gotten. Feel free to leave your comments anonymously if you find this too intimidating. :)
6 comments:
you already know what I think (it is in your blog after all). So I'm only commenting to start the trend, so that other people know it is ok to comment since you really want a survey. So all of you people who only clicked on the comments because you wanted to see what was said, now you should comment.
Um... This just shows that people are no shortage of dumb wusses, in EVERY country. Or, maybe it's just the wussy American women you encounter.
Maybe when pre-school teachers take over the world, you'll have to be less intimidating (though I don't think you are!) But, since there's no hope/fear of THAT, I think you're fine.
Ugh!
Since when did "boisterous" become scary?
I don't find you intimidating but I've known you my whole life. I've gotten the same comments from friends before too even though I'm about the shyest person ever, perhaps it's a family look ;-D
I agree your height and loud voice. Although you don't smile at people you do not know often, or when you do its a reserved smile; maybe that is why some men find you unaproachable.
I wish to point out here that there is a difference between being intimidating at first meeting and being intimidating many meetings later. Who really cares if people are intimidated by you at first? Lots of people are intimidating until you get to know them. Besides do you really want wimpy men to ask you out?
Thanks everyone for your comments. I learned a lot.
Post a Comment