
There was much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. For those of you who don't know, we had quite a crowd for Thanksgiving this year. We had 17 for lunch on Thanksgiving day.
When I came home from Turkey this summer, I told my parents, "by the way, I invited a lot of people for Thanksgiving." My parents were gracious enough to not only open up their house, but willingly feed all these people. My dad was constantly outnumbered as the only man in a house full of women for a week.

I invited all my students from Turkey who didn't have families here and wanted to come, or were able, to come to Virginia for Thanksgiving with my family. We had one former co-worker, six former students and one other young lady who was in the youth group and lived in Ankara. They came from colleges in Arkansas, South Carolina, Missouri and Virginia. Five girls stayed with us. No one had to sleep on the floor. :)

It was so great to be home for my first Thanksgiving in four years. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I heard my grandma (or my mom) saying Thanksgiving was always a big deal to Crystal. We watched the Macy's parade, which I have to admit was a little disappointing because there were no Rockettes. The food was awesome and I really enjoying sharing Thanksgiving with not only my family, but my extended Turkish family as well.

I had a lot of fun with the girls. It was great to show them where I lived and grew up. They got to meet my family and friends. We played games, made Turkish food, and just enjoyed being together. Another student who was in Virginia for Thanksgiving with his grandparents (he is in school in Mississippi) came up on Wednesday and we had a Turkish lunch.
1 comment:
As a mom who is overseas, I am so thankful for people like you. I pray my girls (and boy) have people in their lives who open their doors on holidays/weekends/etc. Thanks, Crystal (and mom and dad DeLong) for doing that.
Post a Comment