Friday, March 16, 2007

Musings about Easter

This is Becca & me at the Winter Ball. I meet with Becca after school at least once every two weeks. Jenna is doing a Bible study on every other Tuesday, so Becca has been coming over and we make dinner together. Someone asked me the other day which student was I most like in high school. The answer would be Becca. She loves to talk, but she's still a good student.

We were talking about Easter this Tuesday. Easter is my favorite holiday. Chocolate and Jesus, doesn't get better than that. I was telling her all about the wonderful candy I love at Easter time. Becca is a true TCK. She is American, but with the exception of 9 months, she has lived her whole life in Turkey. She went to Turkish school until 2 1/2 years ago. She did not know what an Easter basket was. I had to explain to her the concept of an Easter basket. I tried to describe how wonderful Cadbury eggs were, but she thought I was crazy. I suppose if I had never seen one the thought of a chocolate egg with sugary egg white and yolk inside would sound kind of gross.

Easter is one holiday that makes it really evident that I am in a Muslim country. At Christmas they decorate for New Years and even have Santas and lights and trees. But at Easter, there are no decorations. No new Sunday dresses or hats. The only Sunrise Service is the one me and my roommates plan. This is the hardest holiday for me to be away.

On another note it is super cold here again. We had snow on Tuesday and Wednesday. It did not stay around very long, the rain melted it all away. But it was beautiful Wednesday afternoon and evening as it poured down 1 inch of snow. They were the big beautiful flakes.

No comments: