Greetings from this side of the Atlantic! I'm back safe and sound in Turkey. My return flight was pretty uneventful; many prayers were answered, I made my connection with all my luggage. I had a great time in America, it was too short, but very enjoyable.
It's very hot in Turkey right now and very dry. It was 99 yesterday, which is cooler than 105 on the day I arrived. It has not rained since I left in May. Turkey just went through some pretty big elections. Politicians were seeking votes and to earn some favor thet did not shut off the water. Now that the elections are over we can expect the water turn off to start August 1st. It usually works one day water, next day no water. We need rain. They said the water shortage could last up to five months.
Speaking of the Turkish elections, many people asked me about the elections. BBC News had great coverage and a good Q&A site; below is the link. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/6908021.stm
The main reason for my early return to Turkey was to study Turkish. My first class was today. Jenna & I tested into Elementary Level II. Due to the small class sizes, they combined our class with the Level IV; we realized this at the first break. This did make me feel a lot better since I was only understanding about half of what was going on. I get all the concepts, but my lack of vocabulary is really hurting me right now. The teacher is really good and one of our parents from the school is also in the class. The teacher asked us at the end of class was it too easy or too hard, I laughed and told her it sure wasn't too easy. We've decided to stick with Level IV. Jenna and I figured that we'd learn more than if we took the Level I which would be too easy. So we're taking the class that provides and challenge, realizing we can always take it over if we don't get it. I'm really glad the class is only three days a week, it was a lot to take in today, and I have homework. We spent an hour just having conversation, that was one of the hardest parts of the class today. She also couldn't believe that I've lived here two years and didn't know more Turkish. I tried to explain with American roomates and an English only school there hasn't been much time.

No comments:
Post a Comment