
I went to Cappadocia this weekend with 10 other folks. There were six single lady teachers, two married couples and one of our parents drove. We had a great time. On Saturday evening we ate a little restaurant called the Castle Terrace (that's the English translation). I had saç tava, which is this amazing mixture of lamb with garlic, tomatoes, and peppers. It's served with rice and french fries. They bring it out on this wok over an open flame. Very cool, very tasty. (I've put a picture below.) One of the first things I noticed about the restaurant was the owner. I have had several Turks ask me if my father is Turkish after they see a picture of him.

They don't think I'm Turkish, because I don't look Turkish at all. All the time people think that Jenna must have at least one Turkish relative, because she can pass for a Turk. This one old lady kept insisting that Jenna at least had some distant great grandparent who was Turkish until Jenna finally agreed. Anyway, people think my dad looks Turkish. Which I think when he finally comes to visit Turkey, that people will think he is Turkish. I thought the owner could totally pass for one of my dad's brothers. I ask Brian, our chauffeur, who is fluent in Turkish, to tell the owner, that my dad has 4 brothers and he looks like them, would he take a picture with me. Of course he thought I was crazy, but he agreed. So here is my Turkish uncle, Çavaş!

No comments:
Post a Comment