Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kurban Bayram

This will be the first of many posts from my travels with my family. Our trip to visit the seven churches of Revelation fell right during one of the most important Islamic holidays, Kurban Bayram. It is a sacrifice holiday that remembers Abraham's sacrifice of a ram instead of his son. The Bible says this son was Isaac, the Islamic tradition says it was Ishmael.

This is also the start of the Hajj (the pilgrimage to Mecca that all Muslims all called to make once in their life). Since I have been in Turkey the holiday has been near Christmas, so I usually run into some people going to or from the Hajj in the airport.

The sacrifice holiday, Kurban Bayram, requires that an animal be sacrificed, usually a sheep. Then the meat is shared among the family and others. Nothing goes to waste. This process is regulated in Ankara, but not so much outside of Ankara. I have heard people tell stories of how the animals are sacrificed on the side of the road, but I just didn't believe it till I actually saw it. Actually saw a sheep lose his head as we were driving by. Here are some pictures, I think they speak for themselves, but leave comments is you have any questions.




1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

Have a great time in the US. It was so good to be with your folks.