I had to stop and take this picture in a tobacco field. I wanted to do it last summer, but never found the perfect spot. My Papa raised tobacco most of his life. I can remember helping plant, pull, tie and house the tobacco. It's been an important industry for both North Carolina and Virginia. John Rolfe's discovery of tobacco is pretty much what saved the Virginia colony, or at least helped them to start making some money.
It had been a year since I had been to NC. Kristina went with me to see one of my good college friends, Arlene. I was really craving some eastern NC barbecue. For those of you less educated in BBQ fare, there is a big difference in the types of BBQ. I personally prefer the vinegar based eastern NC style over any of the sweet tomato based styles from VA, western NC and TN. I think the tomato sauce covers up the flavor of the pork! We stopped at Parker's, a local restaurant that is family owned. Their coleslaw isn't the best, but they have amazing BBQ and hush puppies. I hadn't had NC BBQ in two years. I have to tell you, I think it may have been the best meal I've ever eaten. I got pulled pork, Brunswick stew, potatoes, hush puppies, coleslaw and sweet tea. Folks, this is what heaven tastes like!

1 comment:
Ok, just checking on you...you are still in the tobacco field! Love ya, S
Post a Comment