Friday, January 08, 2010

New Year...New Start

It's a new year. I'm not really into resolutions, but I was thinking since it's a new year, it's a great time for a fresh start. I'm trying really hard to be motivated to lose the 20 some pounds that I've gained since I came back to America. Finding the time to exercise is currently a problem. It's too cold to walk and I'm still struggling to eat as healthy here as I did in Turkey. But I've either got to lose weight or buy new clothes, since I also have to spend my money more wisely in the new year, I guess losing weight it is!

Along with this I have also begun a long term substitute job at one of the local high schools. It's a tough situation to come into because the teacher was let go for some inappropriate behavior. The classes are pretty unruly and are not so crazy about my more strict teaching manner. It's Algebra I part one. I'm comfortable with the material and I only have one prep. Those are the job perks, as well as getting paid a lot more as a long term sub than I was as a day-to-day sub. An hour and a half is a long time to have the kids. Unfortunately my worst class is the class I see every day. I'm praying that I gain a lot of patience as I grow to love them. I really could have used a snow day today. This is a hard transition for them, I keep trying to remind myself, but the attitude that I get in return makes it a challenge.

1 comment:

AmazingGrace said...

I'm sorry about your struggle with having patience with the new students you have... I'll be praying