Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Prom 2011

For the past two weeks my life has been rather consumed with prom plans.  Early in the year I volunteered to be a class sponsor wherever they needed me the most, and since the juniors do prom I ended up as one of the junior class sponsors.  I helped plan the winter formal for four years in Turkey, I figured it couldn't be too bad.  True to Moroccan form, everything turned out just fine, but it was done very last minute.  We actually got a large amount of help from a parent who is an event planner.  He volunteered to help us free of charge.  It was pretty amazing the final product.  You can check out pictures on facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150249823669853.378789.620259852&l=e9cf6c7d41

This is Bryce, the other junior class sponsor. Bryce also does Model United Nations with me. We had fun trying out the traditional old school prom poses. He's traveled a lot and has a really laid back personality. When we went to Italy with MUN, the Vatican City was the 40th country that he has visited. That's pretty impressive considering he is only 25 years old. Bryce's relaxed nature fits right in with Moroccan culture. After our adventures in Italy Bryce is like family, a younger brother. I want to continue to introduce you to more people I work with through my blog.

Moroccan prom was definitely not an American prom. Their dresses were not as fancy as American prom.  Even as we discussed decorations I quickly realized this was going to be different than anything I had ever experienced.  Waiters brought around appetizers, instead of a punch bowl we had fresh squeezed juice and an assortment of sodas, with gentlemen ready to serve you.

What was not different was how much I enjoy hanging out with my students outside of the classroom. I admit to bribing my 9th graders with extra-credit to get them to come to the prom, but I think they had a good time. It was fun to see them dressed up and even to dance with a few.  

No comments: