Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Türkiye çok seviyorum!

With six of my friends from Morocco in the Hagia Sofia
I love Turkey. A lot. I just returned from a week long trip in Turkey.  We had a week off from school and I could not think of a better place to spend my time.  Several of my friends here were interested to go see this place that I am always talking about, so we headed off to Turkey.  All seven of us started out in Istanbul. I was pleased with how much they liked Istanbul and really enjoyed Turkish food, the people and the culture.  They noticed the similarities to Moroccan culture but also those things that are uniquely Turkish.

I was the official Istanbul historic tour guide.  Visiting Istanbul over a dozen times has allowed me to find some good places to eat and figure out what are the things that are most worth your time to see.  I especially enjoyed the Hagia Sophia.  I never get tired of seeing it; it is my favorite building in the world, a true architectural wonder.

One of my favorite Turkish meals
at my favorite local restaurant: Manti (Turkish ravioli),
Stuffed Cabbage Leaves, Kol Boregi (pastry with beef &
potatoes) and Ezme (Turkish salsa) = pure joy!
After Istanbul our group split up and four of us went to Cappadocia where we explored caves, underground cities and churches of early Christians.  Then three of us continued to Ankara where my roommate was hoping to see a little more of what my life was like there.  She said that she understands me a little better now and the struggles I have in Morocco make more sense because she can see all that I left.

My visit in Ankara was definitely the highlight of my trip.  It was wonderful to visit with so many dear friends; friends who are family to me. My visit to my old school was short and I missed seeing most of my former students because there was a snow day on Friday.  But I did get more time for some much needed relaxation and encouraging time spent with friends.

This Valentine's Day I am reminded that a piece of my heart will always be in Turkey.  

No comments: