Saturday, May 19, 2012

Cooking Lessons

One of the classes that I have taught this year is Capstone.  The goal is to prepare them for the academic level writing of college.  They finished their 3,000 word papers and presentations a few weeks ago; since then we've been working on transitioning to college life. We've talked about culture shock, had separate boys and girls talks about adult situations and made a budget for college.  

Now we're working on cooking.  All of my students have maids and many are very wealthy and have never cooked or washed laundry, some haven't even taken out the trash.  I have 45 seniors so I've been bringing them up to my apartment in groups of 11 or 12.  I teach back to back with another senior teacher, so I get to keep them for two periods.  We talk about the basics then we get to cooking; there is even time for eating! We made scrambled eggs, pancakes, sauteed vegetables, chicken, pasta and grilled cheese.  I wanted them to learn some easy practical things they might could use in college.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crystal,
That is such a cool idea!I love it:)