Thursday, January 19, 2006

Things I Miss about America and Love about Turkey

I have had a few people ask me what I miss most about America. I've thought a lot about that answer. I've recently come to some new conclusions since my trip to Greece. I have believed for a long time that every American should travel outside of the US to really appreciate life in America. It really gives you a whole new perspective. A lot of things I miss about America have to do with the fact that I'm in Turkey. Some of this would be different if I were living in another country.

I miss driving. Everyone better lookout this summer - it will be my first time behind a while in 9 months! I do love the ease of public transportation here. And I love all the exercise I'm getting from walking so much. I espically love all the money I am saving on gas! Gas is about $3 a gallon here.

I miss seeing churches. That was one thing I really loved about Greece. I'm so used to seeing mosques, that I forgot how nice it is to see churches everywhere. I have lived here long enough that I really tune the call to prayer out, but when I do hear it, there is the reminder that I am not in a Christian nation. I love that I have a constant reminder in the mosques of why I am here. The people of Turkey are in desperate need of the Truth.

I miss American treats like MMs and Reeses Pieces. But I love that so many people at home care about me that they send me cards, letters and treats in the mail. It is a true joy to receive mail here and a reminder that there are many people who care about me.

No comments: