Saturday, April 15, 2006

Happy Easter!

Spring has finally arrived! The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming! The tulips in particular are blooming. Tulips are my favorite flower, making another match with Turkey. When we think of tulips, we generally think of the Netherlands. Actually the Turks gave tulips to the Dutch. Tulips were the symbol of the Ottoman Empire. So tulips are a favorite motif in decorations for plates and rugs.

Some of my students have decided that I needed a Turkish name. Crystal is actually Kristal in Turkish and I was okay with that. But there is a soda called Kristal Cola, so they thought it should be something else. They decided on Lale (pronounced lalay). Lale is the Turkish word for tulip, but it is also a woman's name. I think it's a good match!

We went to the Anglican Church at the British Embassy last night for Good Friday service. It was nice. A little different for me, but I really enjoyed it. Jenna and I will also be going to the Anglican service on Easter Sunday. We are having our own sunrise service tomorrow. It will be my household and two or three other families. I got together the songs and Beth is taking care of the scripture. We will be climbing the big hill behind our apartments to watch the sunrise over Cigdem. It should be beautiful. I'm sure I'll have some pictures to post.

I hope you all have a wonderful Easter. He is Risen! He is Risen indeed!

No comments: