
This week is our Spring Break. It has been a very long third quarter, I am very thankful for this break. For Spring Break, we opted to stay in Turkey. That is one of the awesome things about Turkey, there are so many beautiful places to visit and see in Turkey. Myself, Stacey, Jenna and Brenda all went to Cappadocia Sunday and returned Tuesday night. It was a lot of fun. This was my third time to Cappadocia, Jenna's fourth. But it was the first time for Stacey and Brenda. I love visiting parts of Turkey that people have never been to before. It was very cold though. You can see from this picture that there is snow on the ground!

On Sunday we went to the castle in Uchasir and then had dinner with a bunch of other Oasis teachers at the House of Memories. Monday we rented a car. That was the highlight of my trip, getting to drive. It is one of the things I miss the most about America. It was lots of fun, even with the crazy snowy weather. We went to a underground city first thing. Due to lack of great road signs in Turkey we were able to drive through several small towns with some very interesting roads. Loads of potholes! Early Christians escaped persecution by living underground on in caves. We then went shopping in Avanos which is famous for it's pottery. Brenda even got to make a pot. We also met the guy, Hassan Bay, who makes the small clay pots for ornaments. His picture is on my photobucket site.
http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/CDeLong/Turkey/Cappadocia/ There is also a VERY funny video of Brenda falling. It's just as funny ever time I watch it!

On Sunday we went to the Open Air Museum. It is full of cave churches and places where people lived. It's amazing to think that people lived like that! We had a nice time and it was great to get out of Ankara even for just a few days. I'm working at school the rest of the week. I have a big field trip to Istanbul next week. I'm taking 30 students to Istanbul Friday and Saturday. Trying to get all my ducks in a row before then! I hope you all have a wonderful Easter. We'll be doing a small sunrise service again and then going to the Anglican Church. Then I'll be eating dinner either with a student's family or with a group of teachers. He is risen!
No comments:
Post a Comment