Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Doughnut Quest

Here we are at Dunkin' Donuts in Ankara! It was quite the adventure getting there. Saturday was a very busy day. Katie (far right) was staying with us because her parents were out of town. Sunday was Becca's birthday (in the middle) so we all hung out on Saturday. We started the day in Ulus (yes the same neighborhood that had a bomb on Tuesday). We did some shopping and had lunch. We made sure to save some room for doughnuts. We spent a lot of time on public transportation Saturday. By the end of the day we had taken 5 buses and 2 taxis. I will assure you it was worth it, even though they don't have Boston Creme (my favorite).

We only have 14 more school days left. I can't believe how fast the year has gone by. Now comes the really hard part, saying goodbye to so many great students. Tuesday night I had Peter and Andy over to our place. I made dinner and we just talked. They are both seniors. I'm really going to miss both of them next year. They are amazing guys. We have 12 seniors graduating and several other key families going home on furlough. Add that to the number of other students whose parents are being transferred home or to other countries and we are losing a significant part of our high school.
I have a lot on my mind lately. This Saturday is the year anniversary of my dad's accident. That brings a lot of things to mind. I've been in Turkey for two years now. I've signed up for a third, I'm unsure of God's plan beyond that. The teacher that I've grown the closest to other than Jenna just found out she will to leave. She is having visa problems that may require her leave Turkey for a year. So I have to add Stacey to my growing list of people to say goodbye too. I've decided this is the hardest part of living overseas. The bomb in Ulus on Tuesday was a little scary. 6 people died and around 60 were injured. That is a part of town that I love to go to. We were told to stay close to home the next few days. I do feel safe because I know this is where God called me, but it is still a little unsettling. In just 3 weeks I'll be home in America. I'm only home for 6 weeks this summer, which seems like an incredibly short time. I am excited to see everyone. I have lots of pictures and stories to share!

No comments: