Friday, October 12, 2007

Şeker Bayram

This Thursday was the end of Ramazan and the start of Şeker Bayram (Candy Day). It's my third year here and I'm finally beginning to understand how this holiday works. There is candy in every store right now, and we have realized after living here for two years, that this is the only time of year there is a lot of candy. Şeker Bayram is really the Turkish version of Christmas. Everyone goes to visit people, they eat a lot (they've been fasting all month) and they are in really good moods. We've had a lot of fun the past week. Turks have been very happy and we've been taking part in the gift giving. We gave a box of candy to the owner and waiters at Çigdem Kebap, our favorite restaurant. We eat there at least once a week, they know what Jenna wants before she even has to say it. It's a local restaurant in our neighborhood. We're also enjoyed all the wonderful candies. There are these cadbury chocolate balls filled with wonderful things. I was really enjoyed the chocolate with hazelnut creme, but my new favorite is the chocolate with strawberry cheesecake creme in the center. Yummy!

We did not have school today, Friday, for the holiday. We celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving with our Canadian friends, the Lawrences (who actually not in this picture). There were 15 of us. I made pumpkin pie, which automatically puts me in a fall and Thanksgiving mood. I also made deviled eggs, trying to bring a little bit of the south to Turkey. We had a lot of fun. The food was really good. I posted some pictures from today and other recent events on my photobucket account. Sara (second on the left) was so funny today. As I was taking the picture, she said, "we're all going on Crystal's blog!"

After the dinner a large group of teachers came over to our apartment for game night. It was a lot of fun. It's also really nice to see my principal in a more relaxed role. We played Catchphrase, Apples to Apples and Taboo. Anyone who has ever played these games knows how entertaining they are and there is a lot of laughing. Every time I play Catchphrase something really funny happens. As you can see in this picture Brenda is very red from laughing so hard. Brenda is probably one of our most conservative teachers, which made this even more funny. [For those of you not familiar with Catchphrase, you give clues to others on your team to guess a particular word.] She said "This is what married couples do at night." All the married couples are screaming sleep and I scream sex, which was the right answer. You can see Hannah-Lee in the corner of the picture, we were all dying laughing. Goes to show singles have some misconceptions of what married life is actually like!

No comments: