I told the hairdresser I wanted my hair put up with curls coming down. In case you think it’s a lack of communication, because of my bad Turkish, Becca, who was born here, translated for me.
The place was rather empty because of all the snow we are getting. [Snows every year when we plan the winter formal.] I decided to have my nails doe, a simple French manicure. The lady who started to do my nails said she didn’t have time to do a full manicure, but would paint my nails. That sounded good to me. She told me she needed to file my nails. I said okay. Then I watch in horror as she files my long nails down, way too short in my opinion. I tell her and Becca tells her I don’t want them short. She says okay, and then proceeds to continue till I actually take my hand away. At this point I have to let her finish because it looked too odd with three super short nails.
I just shook my head and laughed with Becca. In Turkey, when you say no, they respond with an okay, as if agreeing with you. But then they proceed to do exactly want they want to anyway. I do often wonder if this only happens to foreigners. I know it doesn’t happen to only me. I wonder if they believe its because they think I do not understand what I’m saying. Well, I’ll continue to roll with the punches and think of all the great stories I’m getting out of my life here!

No comments:
Post a Comment