Thursday, August 20, 2009

Florida!

I just returned from what I've been calling my "Turkey Reunion Tour." Eighteen hours on the road from Virginia to Florida was a lot of quality time in car! One of my best friends, Kristina, and Kaiti, one of my former students, hit the road to go to Fort Lauderdale. Kristina and I took turns driving. Kaiti got comfortable in the back with the cute hippo pillow. I thought we did a pretty good job of not getting on each other's nerves.

We left early Sunday morning and arrived late Sunday night. We hit the beach first thing Monday morning after getting provisions. The beach was nice, but the waves were pretty tame compared to North Carolina. We spent the mornings on the beach, and the afternoons by the pool.

The reason for this trip was to visit Ben. He is living in Florida now and going to school there. Kristina and Kaiti left on Wednesday. Ben & I went to a Marlins game one night. It was great to be able to spend some time with Ben.

So why was it a Turkey reunion tour? Well over nine days I saw six former students, three parents and three co-workers from Turkey. I took my time driving back to Virginia, I just had fun visiting all these people. It was amazing to hang out with people here in America that I had so many experiences with in Turkey. Many of them are newly in America, so we were able to share some reverse culture shock stories.

I posted pictures on facebook from the trip: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=133966&id=620259852&l=01b5870522

No comments: