Friday, April 16, 2010

Home is where the heart is

I'm been thinking a lot about this idea recently, that home is where the heart is. I went to North Carolina last weekend, and during the four hour drive (one-way), I have a lot of quality time by myself in the car; this leads to a lot of thinking and introspection.

If home is where the heart is, then I think my heart must be in pieces. Virginia is my home. My heart is here with my family and the beautiful mountains. Turkey is my home. Though I don't live there anymore, part of my heart will always be in Turkey. Every time I'm with my friends who lived in Turkey, there is this special connection. This past weekend when I got to speak Turkish it was familiar. When I talk about Turkey, I'm sharing about the culture I love. My heart is also in North Carolina. Every time I go to eastern North Carolina and eat BBQ or drive over the flat lands, I feel at home. Though I only spent six years in NC, it also is my home.

Though my heart may be in pieces, it doesn't feel broken. Rather I feel more whole because my heart has the opportunity to call so many places home.

No comments: