Dare I say it? I'm feeling a little optimistic. The last seven days have been rough physically and emotionally. I have had a nasty cold/sinus infection that is finally starting to feel better. There have been some personal issues that have made this week a very hard week emotionally. Despite these issues, it has been a pretty good week at school.
I have discovered that I really do like my 9th graders, even though they do drive me crazy. I've been able to laugh with them this week, in between the disciplining. Knowing that I will not have any students next week, due to inservice days and my graduate school class, has contributed to this positive attitude.
But it's Friday afternoon and I'm feeling good. That's not something that I have really been able to say most weeks here. I'm going to dinner with new friends tonight. The older staff seem to be opening up more lately and I am getting to know more people. Students speak to me in the hall and know who I am. Monday I have an invitation for coffee with a native parent. The weather is cooler, it feels more like fall, even though there are no beautiful fall leaves. I got to speak to some friends and family in America this past week.
Each of these things put together give me a feeling of optimism. Maybe the knowledge that in only a few short days I will be in a European nation where I can walk, dress, and look at people freely gives me an added bounce in my step. Whatever it is, I'm going with it and hoping that it lasts! This realist, who is a pessimist at heart, is seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, and this time I don't think it's an oncoming train.

No comments:
Post a Comment