Friday, August 26, 2005

Turkish Culture Education

I am becoming more knowledgeable about Turkish culture, often through experience. Today we had a lesson with a worker who has been here for twenty years. There are many cultural differences between Americans and Turks. Yet, I find that Turks are a lot like Americans. They are friendly, yet a very proud people. But there are some interesting things, like you never extend your left hand, always your right. If you go to someone’s home you ask each person how they are doing. And your response is I’m fine, thank you. The thank you is the most important part. To be invited to a Turk’s home is a great honor. In the US when we meet people we automatically trust them, then as we get to know them, we adjust how trustworthy they really are. It’s the opposite here in Turkey. They don’t trust you at all at first, and as you get to know them you gain their trust. I’m still working on the not looking men in the eyes, that is particularly hard for me.

Tuesday of this week we went to the mayor’s office (that’s the best way to describe his job) to register, then to the US Embassy to do the same thing. We will go next week to get our resident cards. Freedom is defined differently in Turkey. We are not as free here as we are in the US, and the right to privacy doesn’t really exist. On my blog is also a picture of our father’s house here. You might notice there is a cracked window. There was a small bomb earlier this year when no one was there. But overall, the people of our area are accepting of us here.

Downtown was an exciting adventure. I loved it there. It was like being in any major city. I had to include a picture of the parking, because people just park anywhere. Road rules are merely suggestions here. People drive on whatever side of the road they want. Crossing the road is always an adventure. When I take letters to the post box, I have to be very careful. It’s a four road intersection, so I could be hit from 14 possible directions. Of course, those of you who have ridden with me, I’m sure would agree, that I think I could drive just fine here. No rules work for me!

Today we went to the Pazar again. It’s like a farmer’s market and flea market combined. At some point you will get cheated, either pay too much or get bruised or bad produce. I did get a few rotten peaches when I went Sunday. They pick your fruit for you, you don’t get to choose. But today I did well; I got a melon for a very good price. The fruit is VERY good here. Much better than in the states I think.

They are still working on our toilet. Apparently, it is very difficult to get a plumber to come out. And we are working on the hot water. It seems only one of us can get a hot shower a day. I got mine today, so I was happy.

I also loaded some pictures from our dinner with the new teachers at our principal and his wife’s home. They have a beautiful apartment. There’s a picture of me with our principal’s wife. One of my students complained there were no pictures of me.

School starts Wednesday (31 August). We are the last school in our organization to start, but we are still starting two-three weeks earlier than the Turkish schools. I’m sure I’ll have lots of good stories to add next week.

No comments: