Thursday, September 01, 2005

1st Day at OIS!

Today was my first day at Oasis International School. I am teaching 5th through 12th grade social studies. So it's quite a varied day! I start out the day with juniors and seniors and finish with seventh and eighth graders. I really did like my kids today. Espically my juniors and seniors - it's been a long time since I've taught high school. I was reminded why I always wanted to teach high school. I feel into middle school by accident. I ended up loving it too, but I've missed high school. There are some great personalities! I'm really looking forward to getting to know each of them better.

I have students from all over the world. OIS enrollment was only about 70 last year, and today we had right at 100, and we anticipate around 120 total within the next two weeks. I have students from several countries. I'll count and give you a total later. But just off the top of my head today I remember: Japan, Macedonia, USA, Brazil, UAE, and South Korea. Wow! I've put a picture of the flags in the building, representing all the countries of our students.

One comforting thought, middle schoolers are the same everywhere. We had been in my last class 10 minutes and I thanked them for assuring me that 7th and 8th graders were the same no matter what country I was in!

But the day did go smoothly. I'm glad it's only a half week. I'll need the weekend to recover and get ready for next week! I'm the official all time bus duty person. Apparently my reputation preceeds me! That went okay overall. It's helpful since I teach half the student body that I know those kids. We didn't leave any children behind today. I feel like that was an accomplishment. We have a contracted bus service for our students.

I've added lots more pictures to photobucket. Tammie, Brenda and I took the Campbell girls (minus newborn Eva) out to dinner at one of the malls last night. We had a good time. They are beautiful girls! Of course, when I was left watching all three I wondered how parents do it all!

http://photobucket.com/albums/y145/CDeLong/Turkey

No comments: