Overseas you begin to really feel a sense of accomplishment in the small things. This past weekend the new teachers went off our own to the mall. We got taxis and got there safely. Getting there wasn’t so hard, but we were a little concerned about finding our way home at night. You tell the driver Çiğdem Mahellsi, and once you get to Çiğdem you direct him to your apartment. We were successful! Sunday I ventured out on my own. I took a taxi to meet my friend Abby’s cousins, who work the US Embassy. I went to the British Embassy for the Anglican service. My roommate was very proud that I was going out on my own so early. After a nice service and fabulous lunch I directed Joel back to my apartment. I was so proud! There are a lot of twists and turns, so it is a little harder than it sounds.
To add to the list of accomplishments, Jenna and I took the Dolmuşa to the PTT (the post office) to buy stamps. Jenna had never been, so it was up to me. We got off at the right spot and found the right building. Of course when we each bought 50 stamps the clerk thought we were crazy. (We were buying for several people.) I knew she would have this reaction, because she said the same thing when I bought 50 the first time I went. No one in Turkey would every be that prepared to get that many stamps. But I write a lot of letters! I figure part of my job here is to bring joy to the Turkish people by making them laugh, though it’s generally laughing at me. But I’m okay with that!
BTW - Congratulations to Leslie who just got engaged!

No comments:
Post a Comment