Saturday, September 17, 2005

Modern Turkey

It's been a little while since I have posted, but I'll be making up for it very shortly. I've been very busy at school. Even though I am not working a second job here in Turkey, I'm finding plenty to fill my time. This weekend alone is very busy. Friday evening we went over to the Lundy's to celebrate Beth's birthday. (I'll be posting pictures from her birthday and our fellowship on Monday on photobucket.) I didn't get any work done at school Friday afternoon because I ended up talking to several of my students. It was a great opportunity to get to know them better. And you know me, I love to talk! Today (Saturday) I'm going to Ulus this morning to pick up my curtains I ordered last week. Then after lunch I'm going to Kizalay to meet Beth to hang out for her birthday. We'll join the others tonight when we go to play games. Ulus and Kizalay are both in Anakara, they are neighborhoods. Kizalay is the modern area, Ulus is the more historical area.

Speaking of modern Turkey, the Turks wanted to be looked at as being modern and European. And as tourists we often think the traditional things are so cute and neat. On my photobucket site, I have posted pictures of women washing wool. They wash the wool and then hang it out to dry and then stuff their pillows and blankets with it. It was crazy to walk home and see wool hanging every where. A lady in my building ran a line between two trees and hung it up. I love the mixture of old and new as Turkey seeks to find their place. I have to head out now, I have to meet Hannah-Lee to go to Ulus. But I'll be updating again by Monday afternoon with pictures from Kizalay and more about life in Turkey.

No comments: