Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Cost of Living

I would like you all to know that cable costs the large amount of 7 YTL (Turkish Lira), which is equal to about $5! If we upgrade to satellite, that will bring our total to 15 YLT. Crazy, I know! Our electricity was only 30 YTL, which is about $25. It’s that grand?

We have a few English speaking channels: Euro Sport, a channel that plays old NBA games only, BBC World, CNN World, BBC Prime, MTV, and my favorite NBC. NBC only plays English shows after 6 pm during the week. But they are shows from all the channels in the states. Currently this season, they are showing: Smallville (Season 1), One Tree Hill (Season 1), Desperate Housewives (it’s a little behind the states), According to Jim (occasionally), Scrubs, ER, Cold Case and Without a Trace. Plus the Simpsons and Arrested Development. When I get home from school, where I usually stay till 5:00 or later, it’s nice to just veg a little with some American culture.

We are going to an American restaurant for my birthday called Ivy’s, it’s like the Cheesecake Factory in the states. This Saturday we are going to Ulus to walk around and tour the castle. Got to get in some history for my birthday weekend! Then on my actual birthday next Tuesday we are going to dinner.

Learn Turkish at: http://www.asiaminortours.com/turkey/phrases.htm

No comments: