
Third Culture Kids (TCKs), that's who I work with every day. I'm on my way to becoming a TCA (Third Culture Adult). J So, what you might ask, is a TCK? TCKs are kids who have spent a significant period of their life (for some as little as one or two years) in a culture different from their parents. MKs, military brats, and children of diplomats and businessmen all fit into the TCK mold. As a result of their cross-cultural contact, they relate to other TCKs, forming a third culture.
For example, one of my students Becca, is an American (1st culture). However, she was born and has spent all of her 15 years of life in Turkey (2nd culture). She is American, but also Turkish. She fits doesn’t fit in either place completely. Yet, she totally connects with the other students in our school (3rd culture).
After youth group Sunday, several of us were talking and we mentioned Curious George. Can you think of any American child who doesn’t know who Curious George is? Becca had no idea who Curious George was. I was asked this week by another TCK this week what a pep rally was. When I explained that it was also during school, he thought that was crazy because it was placing more emphasis on sports than academics.
Pictured left at Christine and Caleb (they both have on checkered ties, they're going to get me one, so I can be cool too!). Christine is from South Korea and Caleb is Turkish-American.
This year I teach 53 different students (65 total – I have 12 students twice) from 14 different countries: Japan, UAE, Iraq, Macedonia, Nigeria, South Korea, Canada, Turkey, USA, Albania, Italy, South Africa, Germany and Iran. 23 of my students are American, 11 of those having dual citizenship. Our school is a beautiful mosaic! [We are at 155 students from 25 countries.]

No comments:
Post a Comment