Saturday, August 16, 2008

Phelps Phan

I'm back in Turkey and so far the thing I miss the most is not Oreoes or Dr. Pepper, it is the Olympics on NBC. Anyone who has talked to me for more than 30 seconds about the Olympics quickly finds out that I think Michael Phelps is awesome. I've been a fan since 2004. I stayed up late in America to watch him swim. While the others were in bed I couldn't contain my joy as we won the 200 m Relay. Ben thought I was hurt, Mama thought my quiet screams were the dog barking next door.

In Turkey, I am sad to report that with normal cable, Eurosport is dubbed in Turkish. I've been watching the Olympics, but I get tired after awhile of only hearing Turkish. This morning I got up at 5am (which was especially hard since I didn't get to sleep till 2 am) to watch the 100m Butterfly, Phelps 7th gold. The only thing I could make out from the Turkish announcer was "Michael Phelps! Michael Phelps!"

I did try turning to my standby in America, the NBC Olympics page. However, the videos don't work outside of the US & Canada. So, I figure youtube is my next best bet. Great news, youtube is blocked again in Turkey. Another offensive video, bye-bye youtube. The good news, thanks to some of my students, I found a proxy server that can bypass the block. Isn't modern technology grand?!

Tomorrow morning it's 5:30 am to watch Michael compete for his record breaking 8th gold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally understand! I try to watch the Olympics in Thai, but it just isn't the same. I end up reading the info online and watching CNN Worldsport for the highlights.