Monday, September 20, 2010

Pumpkin Spice Latte

The other week I got an email from Starbucks that their fall specials had returned, specifically, the most scrumptious Pumpkin Spice Latte. Having no Starbucks within the country, I decided to find a recipe online and try my hand at being a barrista.

First it took me several days to find pumpkin, though it is common here and in season, no store was carrying pumpkin. I tried to say it in Arabic and they thought I was crazy. When I pointed in my phrase book, they told me no.  However, on Saturday I finally had luck at a local grocery store.  

The recipe called for canned pumpkin.  In order to get pumpkin puree first I had to steam the pumpkin.  I don't have a steamer, so I used a sort of double-boiler that they use for couscous.  The top pot has holes in the bottom and functions as a steamer.  The pot is so big though it took well over thirty minutes for the pumpkin to get soft enough to mash. I used a potato masher since I don't have a blender.

Next I had to make the coffee. I got this cool little Italian espresso coffee maker that works like a percolator.  While that was cooking I mixed my pumpkin with some milk and the spices. I had to strain the mixture before I added it to the coffee, but the final product was really good; it looked right and it tasted yummy. Starbucks would be proud!  


Here is the recipe if you are interested:  http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pumpkin-spice-latte/Detail.aspx

2 comments:

Rachel Saylor said...

So industrious! Are you able to keep (possibly freeze?) the puree so you can use it again or was all the effort just for one cup?

Crystal DeLong said...

Hey Rachel! I am able to freeze the pumpkin puree. I'm going to use some to make pumpkin muffins, but it's great to have it on hand to make a pumpkin latte when I'm in the mood!