Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Different Kind of Birthday

Birthdays have to change as you get older and you move around to different places.  It took me a few years, but I had developed some fun traditions in Turkey and one of my best birthdays was actually my last birthday in Turkey.  I knew that this year would be different since it's hard to really celebrate a birthday with people that you've only known for six weeks.  Little did I know just how different this birthday would actually be.

As part of the work visa process here we have to go in for an official police interview.  We went on Friday, but all we could do was turn in our paper work and were told to come back on Monday. Spending the day at the police station was not how I wanted to spend my birthday. One of my close friends sent me this great birthday card, how appropriate! I did not go to jail, it was just a visit to the police station.  I'll write more about the interview later. 

Jenny, Gail, Courtney & Me
We started my celebration early on Saturday with a trip to one of the ancient markets. I went with my roommates and another good friend. We had fun shopping and just taking in the experience of being in Morocco! Catching a taxi and not knowing exactly where you are going is always an adventure!

That night we had a Mexican fiesta at our place. Several of the women that I got to know at orientation came for dinner. We played Apples to Apples and then watched "High School Musical 3." I did vow to not watch movies with some of them again since they thought my movie choice was cheesy. Some people just don't know quality! :) [I actually found HSM plates and napkins here, so it seemed the appropriate movie to watch!]



Lunch at Chez Paul
After the interview it was too late to get lunch at school, so we stopped at this French cafe.  I had a great salad and ice cream that ranks in my top five favorite ice cream experiences. It was lemon and passion fruit. So yummy! 







My favorite gift
After the visit to the police station and a long after school meeting, we finally went to dinner at a Middle Eastern restaurant. My favorite gift was a total surprise. My new roommate got my friends from Turkey, with help of my old roommate there, and my new friends here to write me birthday wishes. It brought me to tears. I truly am blessed.
Helping my celebrate
A great Middle Eastern spread of great appetizers
Dinner at Canoon

the amazing ice cream

My Roomates!

1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

Glad you had a fun day! Benaiah got to ride a roller coaster, he was happy too. You look great!