Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Happy New Year!

Today we're partying like it's 1432!  No, I'm not crazy, today is the Islamic New Year. [Year 1 was when Muhammad went from Mecca to Medina.] Islam runs on a lunar calendar, all of their holidays are dependent on the moon. Now we know that the moon is very predictable, however, nothing is official here until it is called by the King and a high Islamic leader. Last night we waited anxiously to find out whether we would have today off from school or tomorrow. At 8:30 pm it was official, New Year's was Tuesday.

For once I feel ready for Wednesday, so I'm doing as little school work as possible and just taking it easy.  Due to American holidays, Islamic holidays and weather, I don't think we've had a full week of school since the end of October.  Next week is our last week before Christmas break and it is supposed to be a full week, minus an early dismissal Friday. I hope we make it!

No comments: