Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Stylish Fridays

Last week my students were amazed at my hair.  I did something that I don't do that often, I had my hair straightened.  I decided to join some friends on my first trip to the hairdresser in Morocco.  This sign is in French, Arabic and Berber.  There is an entrance for men, on the left, and one for women and children, on the right.  The children have their own chairs in the front of the salon. In Turkey all the hairdressers were men, and that principle holds fairly true here as well.  

Our group was in two cars, so when we got there, my friend who has much more language ability than me was not there.  The lady come up to help us and I told her we were waiting for our friend. She said, yes, you have a 4 o'clock appointment, there are 4 of you and you want your eyebrows done.  I said yes, but my friend is coming. She insisted I go upstairs, so with my pitful French I told her I only wanted a little taken off my eyebrows and prayed that they would turn out alright, which they did.  She then said, oh you want your hair straightened, she just assumed I did because I have curly hair.  I said, why not, and this was the result.  The kids loved it.  I'm always a little amazed at the reaction I get from having straight hair. It is kind of fun to look like a totally different person for the day.  (By the way, eyebrows and hair straightened, washed and blown out, all for the cheap price of about $10.)

No comments: