Last weekend I finally had the opportunity to go to the hammam, a Turkish bath. Moroccans regularly go to the hammam. They actually don't think Westerners are very clean because we only take showers, where as at the hammam you get a deep cleaning.
The ladies at the hammam were very entertained by us since it was our first time and we are foreigners. First they scrub your skin with the cloth that gets off layers of dead skin. It's rather gross seeing all the skin that comes off, but you definitely feel amazing after. After the deep scrub they shampoo and condition your hair. This is followed by a massage with body soap.
I had a great time, I enjoyed the hammam immensely. I felt so relaxed and like a brand new person after. I never got to experience the hammam in Turkey; I am very thankful that I have a group of friends here who were willing to put aside any shyness and try something that was out of their personal comfort zone.

No comments:
Post a Comment