We recently celebrated the fourth of July; the tradition in our family is to cook-out at the lake. My grandfather turned 84 on the 5th, so we had a birthday/Independence day celebration. We had lots of amazing things to eat. Seriously, its crazy when I think about how much I enjoy food in America. Of course they have good food in Morocco, and we cook mostly American styles of food. However, things just do not taste the same because we often can't get quite the same items, and we make a lot of substitutions.
One of the best meals I have had since I have been home was at my Grandma's. I am aware that pretty much everything tastes better at grandma's, but all the vegetables had come from the garden (most fresh, a couple canned from the year before). I have been very disappointed in the cucumbers in Morocco, they were amazing in Turkey, but I have stopped buying them in Morocco because I am always disappointed in the taste. I have been missing pinto beans and nothing can beat my Grandma's cornbread! I actually passed up the chocolate cake to have another piece of cornbread for desert.



No comments:
Post a Comment