Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Lovin'

I have been trying to live life to the fullest during my time in America. Several of my friends had babies while I was away and I've enjoyed getting to meet them and also seeing how much their other children have grown.  I may not have my own children, but it's fun to be a sort of aunt to lots of kids. I always enjoy spending time with my family of course, especially just sitting on the porch with my grandparents. I've gotten to travel a little and see my friends who live outside of SW Virginia and even reunite with some friends I know from overseas. 

However, one of the best things about being home is of course the food. I love food. I love to cook. I love to eat.  One word, pork.  This girl loves pork.  My favorite meal is pork chops and sweet potatoes.  My mom graciously has made that twice for me.  I needed a moment when I had my first Hardee's sausage biscuit of the summer.  I love McDonald's but Hardee's has better biscuits, and man are they good!  I also love deserts, not typically with pork.  :)  I'm a huge red velvet fan.  Ben & Jerry's is now making red velvet ice cream, seriously amazing.  I recently had red velvet cheesecake at the Cheesecake factory.  It was legend...wait for it...dary!  Along the same vein my cousin's amazing husband made me some Oreo balls.  I'm pretty sure that I've shared before that I think that Oreos are the world's best cookie.  Oreo balls take that to the next level, crushed oreos mixed with cream cheese, made into a ball, then dipped in white chocolate, seriously, they are like a little piece of heaven in your mouth! 


One of my other summer loves has been the Food Network and a little bit, okay a big bit, of a summer crush on Bobby Flay.  If you know me, then you probably know that I have a thing for gingers.  All of my students seem to know I love red-heads; apparently I tend to over-share with my students.  I know you're thinking, how does this topic come up in class?  Surprisingly it inevitably always does!  Back to the topic at hand, while I do have cable in Morocco with many English channels and I have learned how to watch most of the shows I like on the internet, I love the freedom of just turning on the tv and watching Food Network.  I especially love that when it includes some quality time with Chef Bobby Flay.  I told my dad if he ever found a guy who looked like Bobby Flay he had to give him my phone number and tell him to call me.  Daddy said he would do better than that, he'd dial my number and give the phone to him right then.  Can you tell he hasn't given up hope on me getting married, translation, he's still hoping for a grandbaby?

No comments: