Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Resurrection Day!

Today was a great day. It was the best Easter that I have had so far away from home. If you've been reading my blog for a long time then you know that Easter is my favorite holiday and very important to me. It's very hard to be away from my family and it is really obvious here at Easter that I live in a Muslim country. I didn't get a new Easter outfit, but tried to look springy. I got some beautiful tulips from the flower market and the Easter Bunny made it to Turkey to visit our household.

We began the day with Sunrise Service. We haven't had daylight savings yet, so sunrise was very early - 5:48 am. The past two years we have had 4 people. This year we grew greatly to 18 people! (Chris is not pictured, he's taking the picture). We sang and read scripture. Of course we gather illegally. It's illegal to gather together to discuss any religion unless you have government permission. But you don't really think about that. It was a nice time. (Jenna's not really smiling in the picture because she had her wisdom teeth out on Friday, so her face is swollen and it hurts to smile.)

After Sunrise Service we had our neighbors over for breakfast; just one of the families at the sunrise service. We figured inviting all 15 of the other people wouldn't please our neighbors at 6:30 in the morning. Jenna and I went to church. It was a nice service. At 3 pm we had our surrogate families over for lunch. There were 13 of us total. There was so much food! I spent a good bit of Saturday cooking. Here is a picture of the cute bunny bread Jen made. Below is my plate from lunch. Yes, that is ham, I brought it back at Christmas. The green bean casserole was an experience. It was made totally with Turkish ingredients. We even breaded and fried onions to go in the casserole. I have a whole new level of sympathy for pioneer women cooking big meals from scratch! Hope your Easter was eggsterspecial! :)

More Easter pictures on my facebook account, click on this link (or copy it to your browser). http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=33269&l=7f73a&id=620259852










No comments: