Saturday, January 03, 2009

A Slice of Turkey

It was so neat to be able to share a little slice of my life with my family here in Turkey. I took my parents and my brother to my favorite restaurants and we tried my favorite foods. Well at least my mother was a willing partner. My dad's picky tastes didn't change just because he was overseas! (He did enjoy the tea, as pictured here, especially the apple tea; but wouldn't touch sarma with a ten-foot pole.)

They came to school with me on Friday before break started. Daddy did a devotion for the teachers and for my first period class. My students were eager to meet my family. Yes, I get it honest, from my dad!

We went to Ulus on Saturday. That was one of my dad's favorite parts. That felt like real Turkey to him. You really get to see how relational and friendly Turks are. We went to the shops that I frequent and we were offered tea and even breakfast. Ulus was very busy because of the holiday, so there were lots of people. We had quite the adventure at the hat store. The owner was please once he had fixed a hat for Daddy. He didn't know what to do when I told him my brother wanted a hat too. Courtney is much bigger than the average Turk. Everyone thought Daddy was Turkish and Courtney was German.

On Sunday Daddy preached at my church. We were concerned about translation, but she was able to keep up. Good thing she was from South Carolina, so she didn't have a problem with the accent. It was the fastest though any of us had ever heard her talk. People didn't believe me when I told them he preached slower than normal!

I have posted pictures from this part of the trip on facebook. Remember you do not have to be a member to view the pictures. Just click on the link below or past it into your browser. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=73561&l=fd7e6&id=620259852

1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

It was really nice to meet your family. So glad they got to come. Welcome back!