Saturday, June 13, 2009

Jenna

Jenna. What can I say about Jenna? She has been my best friend here for the past four years. We’ve been through thick and thin together. We’ve lived together almost the entire four years. I can’t really imagine not living with her. She says she always takes bets with her mother about how long it will be before I call her on our breaks. [I usually make several phone calls and loads of emails over summer break.]

She has become like a sister to me. Everyone jokes that we are like a married couple. For the most part, we do everything together. Since she became librarian we even walk to and from school together. Every evening we talk about our days. I’ve really seen the advantage of having someone to hash through your day with.

We’ve traveled loads of places together and shared more experiences than I have space to mention. Most of my stories from Turkey begin with “Jenna and I...” It’s hard to say goodbye to my life here, but by far, it is the hardest to say goodbye to Jenna. Here is a poem that she wrote for our staff banquet.

Jenna's End of Year Poem
Here I am, on this day, as the year end draws near
Not required to talk, so I now have no fear.
This poem actually cost me 30 lira to write,
but in the end it's really more appropriate tonight.
First I'll begin by recapping my year,
I started in Kindergarten with nothing to fear.
In January came Sarah and I had it made,
And then I started teaching 8th grade,
They think I'm sooo funny, I maintain I am not,
That's ok, they've no proof (or so that I thought).
Who knew they'd write down all the “funnies” I say,
For burning that list, there's someone I'd pay.
I found that the library is a wet and cold place,
But I can't complain about the windows and space.
Once the roof leaked on the heads of K4,
and they were afraid to come up anymore.
They got over that (and the roof beast),
I've loved library classes, to say the least
We passed through the winter, which was rather long,
With an accreditation visit where not much was wrong
We had no vacations from December to Spring Break,
But celebrated our birthdays with singing and cake.
Spring sort of came, if you count all the rain,
From winter to summer we passed without pain.
In a few short days the school year will close,
and with it the time comes for some friends to go.
Before I start saying my sappy good-bye,
Let me say to the friends who are staying behind:
Your friendships mean everything and you're special to me,
but tonight I am writing for our friends who will leave
I'll begin my good-byes with Barry, Bev, and the kids,
Who, when they first came to Turkey, I wasn't sure they'd live.
I'll miss sewing with Mollie and Bev my lunch buddy,
I'll miss all her wisdom and just being funny.
About Seth and Rachel I can't say enough
But, you guys feel free to try and set me up
I guess I'll miss Eric, but especially Hannah-Lee
Who has taught me a lot about who I want to be
I'll miss enthusiastic Kim and her laughter too
I'll miss all the fun that I've had knowing you
I know I'll miss Jalah – her hugs and her laugh
I'll miss passing on 2nd grade kids to her class
While I don't want my school time with Lauren to end,
I'm really looking forward to a “ not school” friend
But mostly I wanted Lauren to know it is true
If your hair wasn't curly I'd still talk to you
The person I'll miss most is Crystal of course
because right now I feel like I'm getting a divorce
Crystal has been with me from the very first year
We've a lot to remember and a lot that we've shared
And while some people think she talks a whole lot,
those very same people think I don't even talk
If only they knew all the talking we've done
In good times and bad, in sadness and fun.
Saying good-bye is just too hard to do
'cause no matter what happens I'll always need you
And so ends the school year 08 and 09
In the end, as it happens, it turned out just fine
And now I must end on this fine banquet day
With those famous words I was once paid to say
(I'll never regret that money have no doubt)
Stay cool, keep in touch, good-bye friends, peace out

2 comments:

Kristina K. said...

You people! Every time I read this dang blog it makes me CRY...

:) But, good tears.

Hannah-Lee and Eric said...

Okay, I should NOT have read this on my first day away from Turkey. I'm sitting here crying again!