It's been a very interesting year. It was a hard transition back to American public schools. (I do want to add that I am a HUGE fan of public schools, and if I was staying in America, I'd be teaching in one.) I knew after my first year of teaching at Oasis that it would be hard to come back and teach in America after teaching those kids in Turkey. I also believed, I could come back after two years and still adapt fairly smoothly back into teaching in America. After four years, I didn't think there was a chance.
I remember when Kristina came to visit me in Turkey. She taught with me at SRMS; she still teaches middle school English at SRMS (she's a great teacher). She was sitting in my 7th grade class, absolutely amazed at my students. They were on task, when they got off task and I asked them to work, they did so. No one got an attitude when I told them no, or to wait a few minutes when they asked to go to the bathroom. No one made snarky comments. She actually had to leave the room, she couldn't take it anymore. I would listen to her stories and realize that I had forgotten what it was like. I had gotten used to students who wanted to learn, who took pride in their work, who had great attitudes and were almost always respectful, and who had parents who supported the teacher.
I came into a difficult situation when I accepted the long-term sub position in January. It's always hard to come into a classroom in the middle of the year. It's even more difficult when you have very different teaching styles. I said early on, the class will be about where I want them to be in June. That's proved to be pretty accurate. Behavior has improved immensely. It's still a challenge, and impossible with some. I like math, but I have missed teaching my subject area, social studies.
He's also reminded me that my identity is to be found in Christ, not in myself. I have felt pretty confident in my teaching abilities and coming to this classroom challenged that thought. Some days felt like my first year of teaching again. Many days I knew I was only going to make it through the strength of Jesus Christ.
There have been other positives. I was able to reconnect with some former students who were seniors. I made some good connections with a few students. And hopefully I helped broaden their worldview just a little bit when I talked about Turkey or North Africa.

No comments:
Post a Comment