Tuesday, November 30, 2010

African Snow Day = Flood Day

December and January are "winter" time here in North Africa. That usually means rain and wind. Sunday and Monday were crazy windy, and then the rain came. Our campus is an open campus so even walking outside of my classroom I was pelted with rain.

When I woke up this morning I noticed that the rain had continued through the night and into the morning.  As I looked out the window I began to wonder had they added a pool to the school overnight. I got a text message from a student asking if we had school, I even went to check with my neighbor, one of the principals. Yes we still had school, because there was no system in place to cancel school, but it would be an interesting day.

The rain continued all through the night and now we are faced with flooding issues. The majority of our staff lives off campus and most of them could not make it into work this morning. The roads are flooded and as you can see from these pictures, there is no where for the water to go.

It is not safe to travel on the roads right now unless you have a boat :).  In the interest of safety, we have cancelled school for today and tomorrow. Not likely to get a snow day here, so a flood day will have to suffice!  Our bottom floor of classrooms and offices are below ground level; as you can imagine there was quite a bit of flooding in those rooms. They've pumped out the water for now, but it hasn't stopped raining all day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we get flood days too, and politcal unrest days, and flu days when half the class gets h1n1.