Monday, November 08, 2010

Another Moroccan Adventure

I've decided that I have had more than my fair share of Moroccan adventures and that it is someone else's turn!  Let me fill you in on my latest Moroccan adventure.  This past weekend over 75% of the people on campus were traveling over our extended holiday. One of my roommates, Jenny, and me decided just to hang here; we wanted to get to know Casablanca better and we had plenty of school work to keep us busy.

On Friday we went shopping in the Maref, a downtown area of Casablanca. This area has on one end lots of European type stores and on the other end very Moroccan stores that wind and twist all around. We found a parking spot that we all agreed was okay, we didn't see any signs saying it was off limits, there were other cars parked there as well. We shopped in the Moroccan part, had lunch and a lovely time. We placed our purchases in the car, I debated moving the car, but we decided to leave it there. We came back an hour and a half later to find that whole side of the street empty. After talking with one of the men there I came to find out that the car was towed, of course I couldn't park there he said.

Another family had let us borrow the car for the weekend and I had no idea where to go to try to get the car from the impound. We called a friend and her husband told us what to do. After flagging down a taxi we headed to the impound lot. Our taxi driver was very friendly and sympathetic. I'm still amazed with the help that God gave me as I used my pitiful amount of French. We got the papers out of the car then headed to the police station. There we talked to the officer who was not sympathetic to our cause. We had our friend speak to him on the phone. There were a lot of new driving laws passed at the beginning of October, one of which is that the car has to be impounded for 12 hours, so come back tomorrow.

Now there are a couple of problems, one the car is not mine. Second, the car was also not in the name of the people I borrowed it from. Which actually should make things easier since he is Moroccan, except the person who did own the car was leaving the country at 8 am the next morning. We decided to try again the next day and try to convince the police to give me the car even though legally he didn't have to since the car was not in my name. We got there, after telling them it was my friend's car and he was out of Morocco for 2 weeks, they still said no. I kept saying, it's 2 weeks, and then I just said please several times. They then agreed.  My relief was soon dashed when he said the insurance was expired. Guess when it expired, yep, the day before. I figured they had already bent one law, they couldn't bend on another.

At this point, the car owners will be able to get the car as soon as the insurance is renewed. The family I borrowed the car from has been incredibly generous. Many people have had the same experience. Apparently towing is pretty common in the Maref. Oh the things I wish I had known! There are many praises even though the situation is still not resolved. God provided us with a great taxi driver, I wasn't by myself, a friend helped with translation and information. Above all, it has helped us feel ready for just about anything now. I am so thankful that God gave me the strength to keep my composure and cool, and even gave me language ability I didn't know I had. 

Every blessing you pour out I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in Lord still I will say:
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be your glorious name

No comments: