Monday, January 24, 2011

Movie Night

In Turkey during my first year, I accidentally started a tradition of having my students over for dinner and a movie; one night the girls and then a different night for the boys.  It was an event I always enjoyed in Turkey; and when I interviewed here one of the questions I asked was could I have a movie night with students at my house.  I was told yes, there had been some teachers who have done such things.  It took until January, but last weekend I had my first group of students over.  I thought the girls might be easier, so I started with them.  I invited my twenty 9th grade girls to come over Friday after school for dinner and a movie.

All but two of the girls came, I think the curiosity was killing them.  I told them I thought it was a great opportunity for me to get to know them outside of class and for them to see me as someone other than the person who fusses at them for not speaking in English.  I made chili and we had popcorn and lots of snacks.  They all seem to have a good time and we even ended with a little dance party.  One of my roommates stayed to help me chaperone, I think she had a pretty good time too. 

While we waiting for their parents to come I had the chance to talk with several girls for a long time.  It was really interesting to learn more about their lives, their families and their faith. I really enjoyed having conversations that we just do not have time to have in school.  It's also opened up for them to feel more comfortable talking with me at lunch and just chatting in general.  Soon I'll be brave enough to invite the boys over, I think they might eat me out of house and home though!

No comments: