Saturday, February 12, 2011

Jalabah Shopping

Jalabahs are the traditional outfits that Moroccans wear.  Basically they are like robes with hoods.  A friend offered to take me to get everything I needed to have my own jalabah made for me.  She's lived here for many years and really knows her way around the city.  We went to an area of town that is very conservative, so I couldn't take many pictures.  

First we went through the shops were jalabahs are already made. You could choose a jalabah and then have it altered.  There were so many beautiful outfits!  As well as kaftans, which have belts and are double-layered; they are for weddings.  

I wanted to have one made, so I needed to find a fabric I liked.  There were so many choices!  Whatever color or style you want, there is fabric.  I was a little overwhelmed with so much choice. It was incredibly busy, bustling with men and women shopping.  I finally found a fabric that I liked.  Then it was time to pick the ribbon that goes down the center, around the bottom of the shelves and the edge of the jalabah.  There were so many to choose from!  And don't worry, they will find you one that exactly matches your fabric.


Once I had my ribbon, then it was time for the buttons, which are of course handmade, and in every color.  I had to get 100 buttons, and then I got a tassel for the hood.  The next step is to take this all to the tailor who will then make my very own custom, hand-made jalabbah, all for around $30.

I love all the beautiful colors!  Can't wait to see the finished product... 


Check out pictures from the last few months here in Morocco:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=338304&id=620259852&l=5f64643266

No comments: