I remember when I lived in Turkey during some heated elections, and the threat of a potential military coup, how the western media was speaking against the military and calling for true democracy. I remember when I lived in Turkey how we were okay with a military coup, because their job was to ensure that the government was staying true to Ataturk's ideals. It was interesting how living there had changed my perspective.
I was thinking about that amidst the protests that are sweeping across North Africa. In a previous post http://cgdelong.blogspot.com/2011/02/north-african-political-unrest.html I discussed how it is illegal to speak against the king here. Last weekend we did have some protests across Morocco, but they were peaceful for the most part. And above all people here will remind you it is not the king they are unhappy with, rather the corruption of the parliament. Keeping that in mind, here is an article from BBC news.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12518116
Thank you to everyone who has been thinking about me or has inquired about how things are here politically. We have no reason to expect that things will get violent here, Morocco is probably the most stable North African country.

No comments:
Post a Comment