Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Newbies

I am really enjoying getting to know the new teachers.  Probably at least 85% of the people living on campus are new teachers, and for the past week only myself and one other family were the only returnees on campus.  I've helped light several ovens and shared spices and all those fun things that go along with living in community.

Saturday night we had a potluck dinner outside and then a movie night at our place.  We went to Ramadan nights the night before; it is a building filled with stalls, kind of like a fair with different vendors.  Several of the ladies bought what we call "Aladdin pants."  We took several fun pictures in our pants.

It's so weird to go into new people's homes that my friends used to live in. I understand a little better now people's reactions when they would come into our place last year, because it looked so different from the previous tenants.  Though I do miss those who left, we have some really great people who have moved here. Over half of them have overseas experience.  I can already tell a difference just in the atmosphere from last year's orientation.  I'm excited for the new year and the opportunity to get to know these people better.    

No comments: