Thursday, October 01, 2009

Merry Go Round

As you know I am substituting. I've gotten some interesting insights into middle school and high school life. It's very different here than teaching at Oasis. Now this does not come as any great shock to me, but I did wonder after four years overseas if I could ever teach in a public school again. I think the answer to that is yes. I don't know if I want to, but I really think that I could. Of course I tried to do that this year, but there were not any job openings.

After a frustrating day with 7th graders, I was reminded why I taught 8th grade for so many years. Surrounding by the huge high schoolers, I'm reminded why I was content at the middle school for so many years.

Here are my cultural observations that I've made at the high school over the past two weeks:

1. 80's fashion is still here, seriously people, it was bad the first time, why do we need to relive it? And what is up with skinny jeans, especially for boys?! I just remember that we all had fashion faux paus in high school we wish we could change.

2. At the high school in the morning they walk around outside in a circle until the homeroom bell rings. It was like a merry-go-round. It was very entertaining to watch. But they just walked around and around.

3. I got instant street cred when one class at Liberty found out that I knew Ben. That was pretty funny. They suddenly respected me more.

Well those are my insights for right now, I'm sure more will come later...

No comments: