![]() |
| My first dinner - Beef Tangine |
I finally arrived Saturday morning only one hour later than expected. Every flight that I had was delayed; it was a good thing the last one was delayed too or I might have missed it!
While I have been saying good-byes, it just hadn't sunken in that I was really leaving. Everything finally started to feel real in Montreal. I always felt like I was home when I got to Munich; it was my last connection before I got to Turkey. What made it feel like home was when I got to the gate, it was always filled with Turks. They were speaking Turkish and not forming an orderly line. The same thing happened in Canada! The gate was filled with Moroccans, speaking Arabic or French, who also pushed and did not form a line when it was time to go in. It's funny the things that make a place feel familiar!
While I have been saying good-byes, it just hadn't sunken in that I was really leaving. Everything finally started to feel real in Montreal. I always felt like I was home when I got to Munich; it was my last connection before I got to Turkey. What made it feel like home was when I got to the gate, it was always filled with Turks. They were speaking Turkish and not forming an orderly line. The same thing happened in Canada! The gate was filled with Moroccans, speaking Arabic or French, who also pushed and did not form a line when it was time to go in. It's funny the things that make a place feel familiar!
The airport here is like the domestic airport in Istanbul, for those who know what that looks like. It did not live up to my fears of a scene from some horrible movie. I had to wait FOREVER for my bags, but they finally came; all four! PTL! I didn't have any problem getting through customs and everyone was very nice. I have been greatly struck by how much I need to learn French. I'm really ashamed of my current understanding of French. One of my new goals this year is to improve my French. I feel more motivated to work on my French because I already have a base to work with.
We had about a 45 minute drive from the airport. After I got to the apartment I decided to go out with a group to the grocery store. No sense in wading in, just jump right in! As we drove I noticed it was not as green as I had been expecting. Right now things are rather brown, it will start getting green again around October. The temperature seems pretty consistent around high 70's or low 80's now, though it still could get warmer. The temperature did not drop much at night either, but at least there is a pretty good breeze in the apartment. We drove to the store, and the rules are pretty much the same as Turkey, though I would argue, even less organized. Walking is not going to be an option for me because nothing is really walking distance. The king's market is about a mile from the school and it sells produce and the king's brand of yogurt and sauces. I will be dependent on taxis or there is a school vehicle I can sign out.
The grocery store was wonderful. I am able to get so many more things than I was able to get in Turkey. They actually have Betty Crocker cake mixes, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk! My friends in Turkey would truly appreciate this. (Yes, I'll bring some when I come at Christmas.) There is also a greater variety of choice in the produce section, and well just about in everything.
Here are some pictures I posted on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=248310&id=620259852&l=7cb2ca1996


No comments:
Post a Comment