Sometimes it's hard to be really honest when you know that a lot of people are reading what you write, but I have been encouraged that it is good to share it all, the good and the bad. This week has been a really rough week. When I moved to Turkey it was great. Yes, I had lots of problems, especially at our apartment, but everything was new and exciting. There is always culture shock when you move overseas and generally people enjoy a honeymoon period, a time when they really enjoy life in their new place. I had an especially long honeymoon period in Turkey. I was enamored with my students, the people and the country. If you've heard me talk about Turkey you know that I still have that feeling.
Right now I am not enamored with Morocco. I am not having a honeymoon period. Things are harder and different than I expected. The school has been going through a big transition in administration and staff which has produced some chaos and disorganization. There are small things that are big struggles for me, like Macintosh computers. Our school operates solely on Macs. I am not a Mac person. It has been frustrating that it takes me twice or three times as long to do the simplest computer things at school because I'm not familiar with Macs. I'll get it eventually, but right now time is in short supply and I don't have time to waste figuring out new systems.
I learned several years ago when it was especially hot in Turkey that my mood is directly affected by hot weather. It has become especially warm here the last several days. Needless to say, it does not affect my mood in a positive manner. Then there is the obvious missing of familiar people and places. Being overseas again has made me miss Turkey more than usual. I miss my family and friends in America. I miss worshiping in a manner that I am familiar with.
Yet, God is good and faithful. He did not bring me all the way here just to leave me in despair. Today I got an invitation to go to the beach. I said no at first, I needed to go work at the school. The more I weighed my options, work or the beach, the choice seemed really simple. Just as I stepped on the sand it was if my worries and stress were being washed away. I'm very thankful for our close proximity to the ocean. Our balcony view and trips to the beach are providing the refreshing I need to help me through the days when it's not always easy.

1 comment:
Keep going to the beach, whatever you need to do to thrive. That's why we take off every summer and Cmas, even though travel with a family of 7 is expensive. It's also why we have weekly date nights. It helps. Miss you.
Post a Comment