Today is my third day in Casablanca. My roommate arrived late yesterday afternoon just before I was going on another run to the store. Jenni will be my permanent roommate, but we also have a temporary roommate until the end of August. Last night we made dinner and tried to get to know each other a little better.
Today it continues to be hot. It's 85 in the living room, outside it is 97. We have three fans now and that is helping to move the air around. There is a great breeze that comes into the living room, but there is no direct path to the bedrooms. I'm trying really hard not to complain, but it is hot. I believe that you should only sweat when you are playing a sport or doing some other fun activity, otherwise sweating is not fun, at all. One of the second year teachers stopped by this afternoon to visit for a little while. I asked her how long would it take to get used to the temperature. She smiled and said " a while". I guess about the time we get used to the heat it might start to cool off. She remembers that it started to cool down around the end of September. Sounds like a great birthday present!
The staff who have been here for a few years also say that it is hot; until now they've had a pretty nice/mild summer. My poor American air-conditioned self isn't really used to the heat and humidity combination when there is no place to go for relief other than my refrigerator. I did ask Courtney, our temporary roommate, to please tell me that I wasn't the only one who felt miserable. Thankfully she confirmed I was not the only one, that we all felt the same way. That made me feel a lot better.
Today I've been trying to rest and relax. I'm not very good at resting, but I'm trying! I did not sleep well at all last night. My window looks out to a dusk to dawn light and just beyond the walls of the school is a village. As I lay down to sleep last night the sound that filled the air was barking dogs and braying donkeys. I'm hoping for a better night's sleep tonight. We have a group dinner at a family's house this evening. All of the new teachers are going and several of the returning teachers.

1 comment:
Are you sure you're there and not here...except for the cake mix and evap milk, sounds pretty similar!! Love the background color BTW.
Post a Comment