Saturday, May 09, 2009

Italy (Spring Break 2009)

This was my second trip to Italy. One of the major blessings about living in Turkey is the ease of traveling in Europe. We were able to get round trip tickets to Italy for $227. Crazy, I know. Jenna had never been to Italy and this was an opportunity for Katie to go with us. Originally I had planned to go to Italy while I was in Turkey over Christmas break. Katie & I would go visit Giulia. Plans didn't work out and I ended up in America for Christmas.

We flew into Milan then took a train early the next morning to Livorno, the small town that one of my former students lives in. We were able to stay with Giulia and her family. The highlight of the trip for me was my time with Giulia. I taught both Giulia and her brother Riccardo. I did discipleship with Giulia while she was in Turkey. She is an amazing young lady.

During the first two days we went to Pisa, after an amazing home cooked meal with Giulia's family. The next day we went to the medieval town of Lucca where we rode tandem bikes. (That was an adventure!) Check out pictures from these days here: Part I - Livorno & Pisa http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=101357&id=620259852&l=3e2d2858bb


We then left Giulia and took a train to Rome. We visited the Vatican that afternoon. Words cannot describe the Sistine Chapel. The following day we went to Pompeii. It was amazing. Hard to believe that little mountain did so much damage. The hot lava from the volcano froze the city in time. A smart archaeologist poured plaster were the bodies had decayed to produce models of the bodies frozen as they lay dying. Check out the photos in Part II - Pompeii http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=102872&id=620259852&l=ff1cf295d5
I love Rome. It's an insane busy city. I love Italians. I love their language and their food. I especially love their history. While visiting the Colosseum I decided to totally be a tourist and take a picture with a gladiator. Was a very entertaining experience! Here is me and "Maximus," though I thought he looked more like Achilles. More pictures in Part III - Rome http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=103036&id=620259852&l=9ec41bccd8
If you're not tired of looking at pictures yet, the rest of the pictures can be found in Part IV - Vatican & Around Town http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=107619&id=620259852&l=0041487013

1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

Great post and pics. I would have totally taken the Gladiator pic too.